Most people think love at first sight is bull, but tons of couples actually feel like they fell for each other the moment they met. Cosmopolitan.com rounded up 13 amazing stories of people who will make you believe that love at first sight is very real and could very much happen to you.
1. "It was my first night bartending at a dive bar in Columbus, Ohio, and he was sort of a regular there. It turned out we were both going through breakups and we started talking about our love for animals and he said, 'I have two cats and Dobermans are my favorite dog.' Ahhhh! Instant love. I've always loved dobies, had a cat at the time, and just love animals in general. We started going out in October, were living together before Christmas, and moved to Cleveland in March. That was 13 years ago." —DJ
2. "Nearly 11 years ago, I walked past my now-husband in one of the hallways in our high school and was drawn to his eyes. They say the eyes are the window to the soul, and that's exactly the case here. His eyes were just a sample of his incredible qualities, both inside and out. His eyes captivated me in the high school hallway, and I wanted to know him from that moment. We have been together since that time and have been married for three years." —Candace
3. "The first time I saw my now-husband, I was 15 years old. It was summer, he was my waiter, and as we locked eyes, I swear everything around me slowed down and I knew. It was only a second as he was walking around a corner, but he remembers that second as clearly as I do, as if it were yesterday. I had never seen a more good-looking guy (granted, I was only 15, but I had had my share of boyfriends). That night, we met up for a movie after his shift. He kissed me for the first time (although he will tell you I was the one who kissed him), and I swear, my breath caught, my head swooned, and we both knew that this was something more than a passing fling. It's now 15 years later; we have been married for seven years and have three children who are the lights of our lives. I get butterflies every time he kisses me, and we both still talk about that very first time we saw each other and how we knew, 15 years ago, that something clicked, something connected between us. If anything deems to be called love at first sight, it would be this." —Morgan
ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
4. "I first saw him across a crowded gym at a pep rally in college. My roommate and I were having fun wrestling in large inflated sumo suits that you see at events and carnivals. When I walked back over to a group of friends afterward, someone said, 'Nice job, Kristen!' It was love at first sight, but I had no idea who he was and didn't realized he knew my name. John and I met up a few nights later at a Halloween party and have been together ever since. Fast forward 10 years later, we've made it through law school (him), living in a foreign country (me), moving across the country twice, and so much more. We celebrated five years of marriage in January and welcomed our first baby girl in March. Our relationship grows and changes each year for the better." —Kristen
5. "It was a beautiful morning in Cabo San Lucus. I flew in that morning for a photo shoot (I was modeling at that point in my life). I was getting settled in my room and walked onto my patio and saw this beyond handsome man walking toward me. I was in awe with his looks. He happened to be staying right next to me. I fell in love at first conversation. Everything seemed too right and I thought, Could this be real? Could he really be this great, or is it the beautiful setting we were in? After a romantic three days, we got married in Cabo! We both lived in L.A. and when we returned home, it was weird to say the least. I didn't know anything about him! After three months, we moved in together and made our marriage official in the U.S. We have now been married for almost four years and have a 2-year-old. We still haven't had a serious fight and are still as in love, if not more, than when we met on that beautiful day in Cabo." —Courtney
6. "I saw an ad for a singing contest in Manhattan and went to it for the hell of it (I'm not a singer and didn't want to be one). To my amazement, I won, and the prize was my own one-woman-cabaret show. I knew nothing about cabaret, but if New York producers want to give you a show, you take it. I started going to the Lincoln Center Library for the Performing Arts every day to check out music, and that's where I met Scott, whose job was to hand out sheet music at the library. When I first saw him, I thought I saw an aura of light around him and I felt a strange feeling as if I knew him really well, even though I knew I'd never seen him before. Now we have been married for more than a decade." —Natalia aka "Saw Lady"
7. "We were both 19 at the time. I met him at a houseboat party that I almost didn't attend. When he walked in, I immediately knew I wanted to be with him. I called a girls' meeting in the bathroom where I called dibs on him, so they knew he was spoken for. He reciprocated the same feelings. Fast forward, we are now 27 years old and married. I always knew he was the one for me." —Lacy
8. "My husband and I have been married for 19 years this past June. We met through our mutual (and still best) friend, Howie, who was having a birthday party and wanted both of us to join him at the pub for a celebration. I saw Howie and my now-husband, Dave, walking up to the dorm to meet me, and all I could think at that moment was, I am in love. I am going to be with that man. Dave and I had an instant connection, talked all night, and were best friends and soul mates for many years after. We each dated different people along the way and finally in our mid-20s, he made the move and explained that he had been in love with me from the start. It took a while for us to pull it together, but we have been best friends for almost 30 years and married for 19 of those." —Sue
9. "My husband and I met online 15 years ago when online dating was in its infancy. After a week of emails, we had our first phone call. When I realized that we had attended the same small sleepaway camp as kids and that we shared a similar upbringing with similar values, I knew, sight unseen, that he was The One. He says he knew it was love when I opened the door to meet him for our first date. We've been married for more than 12 years, have two amazing daughters, and our story inspired a novel, Click: An Online Love Story, which was optioned for a movie." —Lisa
10. "I first met my husband as a freshman in college. A friend in my dorm was excited about meeting this cute guy in an early-morning physics lab. She had invited him and his friend over for snacks after class and wanted to borrow some coffee. I delivered the coffee, still in my bathrobe and curlers, when they stormed in. I immediately fell for the guy's friend, and he later said the same about me. We both gave hints to our respective friends, then three months later, we went out on our first date, and five years later we married. The original pair broke up in less than a year while my husband and I have been married 35 years (and that might be because he met me looking my worst)!" —Susan
11. "I was 21 and on a self-prescribed 'man ban.' I had just gone through a breakup and finished a semester of full-time school and work. I had zero interest or time to date or even flirt. That summer, I was only taking one summer class and working full-time, so I decided to add in an acting class. I was waiting outside the Neighborhood Playhouse on our first day of class, nervous to go inside. As I stood on 54th Street and chatted on the phone with a friend, a cute guy passed by. He glanced back and made eye contact with me before heading inside the building. A small, clear, and very sure voice inside my head said: "I could marry him." I immediately shook my head and thought, Where did that come from?! I am not even looking date anyone right now, let alone get married. As you may have guessed, the cute guy from the street ended up in my acting class. I fought with all my might to not fall in love with him. I thought I was too young and too busy, and that he was too Midwestern and too much of a jock. I made a lot of excuses, but my heart had already chosen him at first sight. We had our first date at the Bronx Zoo that summer, and six years later, we were married there. We're celebrating three years of marriage and nine years together this year! I'm so thankful that my heart knew who to love from the very first moment I met him." —Kim
12. "Just when I was about to delete my Tinder app and potentially leave NYC, I swiped right on my current boyfriend (yes, this is a Tinder success story). Just four lines later, we had a day date set for a gorgeous Saturday in NYC. The minute I walked up and saw him, I was relieved and knew there was something special about this one. The day date that I was skeptical of turned into a 12-plus-hour first date roaming around the city streets spontaneously trying food/drinks at neighborhood spots. It was the best date I ever went on. After our fist kiss in a romantic garden, we went to his apartment where he cooked me dinner. The next day, I came into my office and said, "I'm in love." On date two, we went to a restaurant known for their oysters and their fortune-telling fish. My fish curled in the position that matched 'in love.' A couple weeks later he told me he loved me and I responded with 'I've loved you since the day I met you — I've just been waiting for you to realize what we have.' We're currently happily dating." —Brittany
ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
13. "I met my husband in junior year when he introduced himself to me in study hall. There was something about him that just really resonated with me. He was very genuine and unbelievably sweet. A month or two later, we stayed after school and studied in the library while really getting to know each other, and the rest is history. Throughout our high school years, he would often write me poems and give me flowers just because. He didn't have money, but I remember in our junior year before Christmas break, he gave me a box of chocolates. He saved money from shoveling snow in his neighbor's driveway just to give me a gift. We officially became boyfriend and girlfriend in our senior year. We made it official the day we went on a field trip to NYC. A few years later, he proposed to me on a horse and carriage ride in Central Park. Then, in 2013, we got married and had an NYC-themed wedding at the same venue where we had our junior prom and shared our first kiss. We have been a couple for 11 years and married for two. It was love at first sight for both of us. I don't know what I would do without him." —Felicia